Email [email protected]
- 1983: BS, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
- 1987: MD, University of Toronto, Canada
- 1987-1988: Surgical Internship, Mount Sinai Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
- 1988-1989: Resident in Neurosurgery, University of Ottawa, Canada
- 1989-1997: Resident in Neurosurgery, Department of Neurosurgery, University of Toronto
- 1991-1996 Research Fellow, Medical Research Council of Canada and Brain Tumor Research Center, Department of Neurological Surgery, UCSF
- 1992-1996: PhD, Graduate Group in Biophysics, UCSF
- 1997-1998: Fellow in Pediatric Neurosurgery, Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto
Director of the Department's Pediatric Neurological Surgery Program, Dr. Gupta has specialty interests in the evaluation and surgical management of neurological disorders in children, including such conditions as brain tumors, hydrocephalus, cranial and spinal congenital anomalies, and epilepsy. After his residency training in neurological surgery at the University of Toronto in Ontario, Canada, he completed fellowship training in pediatric neurosurgery at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto.
Dr.Gupta's research interests include fundamental mechanisms of brain tumor progression and defining the biological response of tumors to various treatment strategies. During his graduate studies, Dr. Gupta studied the effect of radiation and chemotherapy agents on glioma cells as they progress through the cell cycle.. Currently, his laboratory is focusing on cell-cell interactions during tumor progression, and the special role of pro-inflammatory cytokines. Dr. Gupta is also Co-PI of the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation Institute Award at UCSF. This program is directed towards basic and translational research for brainstem glioma and medulloblastoma.